Southwestern Chili Cheese Empanadas
Make-Ahead Time up to 2 months in freezer
Final Prep Time 30 minutes
Makes 32 appetizers
|3/4||cup (3 ounces) finely shredded taco-flavored cheese*|
|1/3||cup diced green chiles, drained|
|1||package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie crusts|
*If taco-flavored cheese is unavailable, toss 3/4 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese with 1/2 teaspoon chili powder.
- Combine cheese and chiles in small bowl.
- Unfold 1 pastry crust on floured surface. Roll into 13-inch circle. Cut dough into 16 rounds using 3-inch cookie cutter, rerolling scraps as necessary. Repeat with remaining crust to make 32 circles.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon cheese mixture in center of each dough round. Fold round in half, sealing edge with tines of fork.
- Place empanadas on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; freeze, uncovered, 1 hour or until firm. Place in resealable food storage bags. Freeze up to 2 months, if desired.
- To complete recipe, preheat oven to 400°F. Place frozen empanadas on ungreased baking sheet. Beat egg and 1 tablespoon water in small bowl; brush on empanadas. Sprinkle with chili powder.
- Bake 12 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet to wire rack to cool.
Serve empanadas with salsa and sour cream.
|Serving Size:||about 3 appetizers|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Calories from Fat||58 %|
Check out more recipes for Mexican