Spaghetti with Seafood Marinara Sauce
YIELD Makes 4 to 5 servings
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1/3||cup chopped onion|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|1/2||cup dry white wine|
|6||flat anchovy fillets, minced|
|5||large ripe fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped|
|1||tablespoon tomato paste|
|3/4||teaspoon dried basil|
|1/2||teaspoon dried oregano|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|10||ounces uncooked spaghetti|
|1||pound fresh medium shrimp, shelled and deveined|
|1/2||pound fresh sea scallops, cut into 3/4-inch pieces|
|3||tablespoons chopped fresh parsley|
|Fresh basil leaves for garnish|
- Scrub oysters thoroughly with stiff brush under cold running water. Place on tray and refrigerate 1 hour to help oysters relax.
- Shuck oysters, reserving oyster liquor. Strain oyster liquor through triple thickness of dampened cheesecloth into small bowl; reserve oyster liquor.
- Heat oil in 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4 minutes or until soft. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Add wine; cook 4 to 5 minutes until wine has evaporated. Remove from heat; cover and set aside.
- Stir reserved oyster liquor and anchovies into onion mixture in saucepan; add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Mix well. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium. Cook, uncovered, 20 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Cook spaghetti in large pot of boiling salted water 8 to 10 minutes just until al dente; drain well.
- Stir in shrimp, scallops and oysters. Cover and cook 2 to 3 minutes until shrimp turn opaque and are cooked through, stirring occasionally. Stir in parsley.
- Combine hot spaghetti with seafood sauce in large serving bowl; toss until well coated. Garnish with basil. Serve immediately.
Oysters should have tightly closed shells or snap tightly closed when tapped. If they do not close when tapped, they are dead and should be discarded.
This recipe appears in: Italian
You Might Also Like