Spaghettini of Crab, Lemon and Parsley
Episode 19: Michelle's Menu
|1 tablespoon/15 ml||olive oil|
|2 shallots||finely diced|
|3||garlic cloves, crushed|
|2-inch/5-cm||piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced|
|1||Thai chili or other small green chili, finely chopped|
|8 ounces/225 g||crab meat|
|½ cup/120 ml||dry white wine|
|1 ¼ pounds/550 g||fresh or 1 pound/450 g dried spaghettini|
|1/4 cup/55 g||unsalted butter|
|2 ½ tablespoons/45 ml||water|
|¼ cup/10 g||chopped fresh flat leaf parsley|
|2 tablespoons/30 ml||extra virgin olive oil|
|1 tablespoon/15 ml||fresh lemon juice|
|4||sprigs fresh chervil, for garnish|
- Core the tomatoes and cut a cross on the opposite end. Plunge the tomatoes into boiling water and boil for 12 to 15 seconds. Remove the tomatoes with a slotted spoon and place them in ice water to cool. Remove the tomato skins. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise and squeeze out any seeds and excess juice. Dice the tomato flesh and reserve.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the shallots, garlic, ginger and chili and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, or until soft but not browned. Add the crab meat and cook for 30 seconds. Add the wine. Increase the heat to medium-high and stir to deglaze the pan. Allow the sauce to simmer until reduce by half.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the fresh spaghettini and cook for 1 to 2 minutes (the dry spaghettini will take about 8 minutes), or until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter and water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Drain the pasta and toss it in the pan of butter and water to coat. Add half of the parsley to the pasta and toss well.
- Add the remaining parsley to the crab sauce. Stir in the reserved tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Using a two-pronged carving fork, swirl a fourth of the pasta around the fork.
- Slide the pasta off the fork and mound it in the center of a warm pasta bowl, leaving a spiral of pasta in the bowl. Repeat with the remaining pasta. Spoon the sauce around the outside of the pasta. Garnish each bowl with a sprig of chervil and serve.
Check out more recipes for Pasta