Makes 4 to 6 servings (about 24 gnocchi)
|2||packages (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach|
|1||cup ricotta cheese|
|2/3||cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces), divided|
|1||cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|1/8||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|3||tablespoons butter or margarine, melted|
- Cook spinach according to package directions. Drain well; let cool. Squeeze spinach dry; place in medium bowl. Stir in ricotta cheese. Add eggs; mix well. Add 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, 3 tablespoons flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg; mix. Cover; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Spread remaining 1 cup flour in shallow baking pan. Press a heaping tablespoonful of spinach mixture between a spoon and your hand to form oval gnocchi; place on flour. Repeat with remaining spinach mixture.
- Roll gnocchi lightly in flour to coat evenly; discard excess flour. Drop 8 to 12 gnocchi into large pot of boiling salted water; reduce heat to medium.
- Cook, uncovered, 5 minutes or until gnocchi are slightly puffed and slightly firm to the touch. Remove gnocchi with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Immediately transfer to greased broilerproof shallow baking dish. Reheat water to boiling. Repeat with remaining gnocchi in batches of 8 to 12. Arrange gnocchi in single layer in baking dish.
- Preheat broiler. Spoon butter over gnocchi; sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Broil gnocchi 5 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes until cheese melts and browns lightly. Serve immediately. Garnish as desired.
Check out more recipes for Italian