YIELD Makes 4 servings
|6||dried Oriental mushrooms|
|1||slice (4 ounces) smoked or baked ham, cut into julienne strips|
|3||green onions with tops, cut into thin slices, divided|
|1||pound ground pork|
|1/4||cup chopped water chestnuts|
|1||tablespoon sesame oil|
|1||tablespoon soy sauce|
|1||teaspoon minced fresh ginger|
|Red pearl onion slices and chives for garnish|
- Place mushrooms in small bowl; cover with hot water. Let stand 30 minutes; drain. Squeeze excess water from mushrooms. Cut stems off mushrooms; discard. Cut caps into thin strips; set aside in small bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons ham strips. Add remaining ham to mushrooms.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon onion slices and stir remaining slices into mushroom mixture.
- Add pork, water chestnuts, cornstarch, oil, soy sauce, ginger and sugar to mushroom mixture; mix lightly. Spread mixture into greased 9-inch shallow ovenproof serving dish or pie plate.
- To steam pork mixture, place wire rack in wok. Add water to 1 inch below rack. (Water should not touch rack.) Cover wok; bring water to a boil over high heat. Carefully place dish with pork on rack. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Steam pork mixture about 25 to 30 minutes or until firm. Carefully remove dish from wok.
- Sprinkle dish with reserved ham and onion slices. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
Learn how to cook authentic Asian cuisine with our recipes from all of the major regions in Asia, including Korea, Japan and Malaysia.
Have you ever wanted to cook authentic Thai food instead of going out to a fancy restaurant? Now you can with our Thai recipes.