YIELD Makes 2-1/2 cups custard
- Heat milk in small saucepan until hot. (Instant-read thermometer should register 170°F.) Do not boil.
- Whisk eggs in top of double boiler until well blended. Add sugar and salt; whisk until blended. Stir in hot milk.
- Fill bottom of double boiler with water to 1 inch below level of top pan. Bring water just to a boil; reduce heat to low. Place top of double boiler over hot, not boiling, water.
- Cook and stir over low heat 10 to 12 minutes until egg mixture thickens and instant-read thermometer registers about 170°F. (Mixture should coat back of spoon. Run fingertip across back of spoon; if mark remains, mixture is ready.) Do not boil. Custard will thicken as it cools.
- Immediately remove top of double boiler from heat. Stir in vanilla. For a smoother texture, strain through wire mesh sieve into medium bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Candy keeps the Tooth Fairy in business. Help fund her retirement by making these amazingly simple candy recipes.
Making friends and influencing people can usually be best achieved by sharing a batch of fresh-out-of-the-oven chocolate cookies. Try it and you'll see.