These not-too-sweet shortbread cookies are dressed up for Valentine's Day with a dollop of strawberry preserves, but you can use any filling you like! Try apricot jam or hazelnut spread for a special twist on this cookie.
Approximate 6-8 dozen cookies (depending on size)
|2||cups unsalted butter|
|2||cups confectioner's sugar|
|1/2||cups orange juice|
|1||teaspoon pure vanilla extract|
|6||cups all-purpose flour|
|1||teaspoon baking powder|
|6||cups strawberry preserves|
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and baking powder, and mix slowly until a dough forms.
- Remove dough from mixer and knead with hands until it becomes stretchy.
- Place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and using a rolling pin, roll flat.
- Remove top parchment paper and cut dough in half. Punch out solid bottom halves of cookies on one half of the dough. Punch out the heart window top halves of the cookies on the other half of the dough.
- Line up cookies on a lined cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, and remove before they are browned. Let cool completely.
- Carefully spread strawberry preserves on solid bottom halves of cookies and place the top of each cookie on top.
- Place each cookie in a cellophane wrapper and tie up with a ribbon to give as a Valentine’s Day gift!
Check out more recipes for Valentine's Day