YIELD Makes 4 servings
This is more of a technique than a recipe. Stuff the peppers with whatever you like. This is a great dish for using leftovers.
Select bell peppers that are about equal size, long, and somewhat symmetrical--we're going to be stuffing them, so look for good proportions. Cut your bell peppers in half lengthwise. Take out the seeds and white membrane--a spoon works well for this. You can leave the green stems on for show, but they are not edible. I usually carefully remove them. Set the halves aside.
I love wild lake rice in this, it's got a lovely nutty flavor and the shiny black color is really striking. But you can use whatever you have on hand. You are basically creating a salad here and you want it to taste good enough to stand up on its own. You can also get creative and add extra ingredients, some of my favorites include capers, sun dried tomatoes, and anchovies.
|2||large bell peppers, sliced in half lengthwise and emptied out|
|2 cups||cooked grains or vegetarian protein (rice, quinoa, couscous, lentils, tempeh, etc.)|
|1 cup||tomatoes, chopped|
|1/2 cup||onion, chopped|
|1/2 cup||fresh basil (or other leafy herbs like parsley, cilantro, etc.)|
|1/3 cup||goat cheese|
|2 tbsp||lemon juice|
|2 tbsp||balsamic vinegar|
|2 tbsp||extra virgin olive oil|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Add all of your stuffing ingredients together into a bowl. You can even substitute some (or all) of the grain with tofu, tempeh or some sort of meat--ground turkey works really well.
- Combine in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Do a quick taste test and adjust the seasoning, be it salt, pepper, or lemon juice if necessary.
- Line up your pepper halves in some sort of a baking pan and stuff each one.
- Bake them in the oven for about 30 minutes. Some folks like to add extra cheese to the top of the stuffed peppers; this helps hold things together. When a fork easily pierces the skin of the pepper they are done.
You Might Also Like
There are hundreds of ways to cook pork, so check out our recipes to see which one you'd like to try for your next meal.
Grill it, bake it, blacken it or even eat it raw. These are just a few of the ways that our recipes suggest to cook fish. Try them today.