Stuffed Party Baguette
Makes 12 servings
|2||medium red bell peppers|
|1||loaf French bread (about 14 inches long)|
|1/4||cup plus 2 tablespoons fat-free Italian dressing, divided|
|1||small red onion, very thinly sliced|
|8||large fresh basil leaves|
|3||ounces Swiss cheese, very thinly sliced|
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cover large baking sheet with foil; set aside.
- To roast bell peppers, cut peppers in half; remove stems, seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut sides down, on prepared baking sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until skins are browned.
- Transfer peppers from baking sheet to paper bag; close bag tightly. Let stand 10 minutes or until peppers are cool enough to handle and skins are loosened. Using sharp knife, peel off skins; discard skins. Cut peppers into strips.
- Trim ends from bread; discard. Cut loaf lengthwise in half. Remove soft insides of loaf; reserve removed bread for another use, if desired.
- Brush 1/4 cup Italian dressing evenly onto cut sides of bread. Arrange pepper strips in even layer in bottom half of loaf; top with even layer of onion. Brush onion with remaining 2 tablespoons Italian dressing; top with layer of basil and cheese. Replace bread top. Wrap loaf tightly in heavy-duty plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove plastic wrap. Cut loaf crosswise into 1-inch slices. Secure with toothpicks and garnish, if desired.
|Serving Size:||1 baguette slice|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Calories from Fat||25 %|
Check out more recipes for Vegetables