YIELD Makes 4 servings
|1/2||cup all-purpose flour|
|2||tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch, divided|
|1||teaspoon baking powder|
|3/4||cup cold water|
|1||pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|1||tablespoon soy sauce|
|2||teaspoons sesame oil|
|Soy Dipping Sauce (recipe)|
|4||cups vegetable oil|
|1||zucchini, diagonally cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices|
|8||button mushrooms, stems removed|
|1||red bell pepper, cut into wedges|
|1||green bell pepper, cut into wedges|
|Beefsteak leaves (optional)|
|Edible flowers, such as snapdragons, for garnish|
|1/2||lemon, cut lengthwise into 4 wedges (optional)|
- To prepare batter, place flour, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; mix well with wire whisk. Make well in center and whisk in water until batter is consistency of pancake batter with small lumps.
- Add egg white to batter; whisk until blended. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place yolk in food processor. Add shrimp, soy sauce, sesame oil and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch to food processor. Process until shrimp is chopped to a paste. Place shrimp paste in small bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- Prepare Soy Dipping Sauce and keep warm.
- Heat vegetable oil in wok over medium-high heat until oil registers 375°F on deep-fry thermometer. Spread about 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons shrimp paste on 1 side of 8 zucchini slices and stuff remaining paste into mushroom caps and pepper wedges.
- Stir batter until smooth. Dip 6 stuffed vegetables, 1 at a time, into batter. Carefully add to oil. Fry, stuffing sides up, about 2 minutes for peppers, 3 minutes for zucchini and 4 minutes for mushrooms or until golden brown, turning once. Remove vegetables to tray lined with paper towels; drain. Repeat with remaining stuffed vegetables, reheating oil between batches. Dip leftover zucchini slices into remaining batter and fry about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- To serve, line 4 individual serving plates with paper doilies or beefsteak leaves. Arrange vegetables on plates. Garnish, if desired. Pour Soy Dipping Sauce into 4 small bowls. Serve dipping sauce and lemon wedges with tempura.
You Might Also Like
Learn how to cook authentic Asian cuisine with our recipes from all of the major regions in Asia, including Korea, Japan and Malaysia.
Learn how to properly prepare Italian cuisine by following our easy-to-understand recipes that walk you step-by-step through the process.