Makes 1 dozen cookies
|2||squares (1 ounce each) semisweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped|
|1-1/4||cups all-purpose flour|
|1/2||teaspoon baking powder|
|1/2||cup butter, softened|
|Fillings as desired: well-drained maraschino cherries or candied cherries; chocolate mint candies, broken into halves; white baking bar, cut into chunks; thick milk chocolate candy bar, cut into chunks, or semisweet chocolate chunks; raspberry jam or apri|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 12 mini (1-3/4-inch) muffin pan cups; set aside.
- Melt chocolate in small heavy saucepan over very low heat, stirring constantly; set aside. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Beat in melted chocolate. Gradually beat in flour mixture at low speed until well blended.
- Drop dough by level teaspoonfuls into prepared muffin cups. Form small indentation in center of batter with back of teaspoon.
- Fill as desired with assorted filling ingredients. Top with heaping teaspoonful of dough, smoothing top lightly. Sprinkle tops with nonpareils.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until centers of cookies are set. Remove pan to wire rack; cool completely before removing cookies from pan.
Store these cookies tightly covered at room temperature. They do not freeze well.
Check out more recipes for Butter & Sugar