Makes about 14 cookies
|1||package (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough|
|All-purpose flour (optional)|
|Any combination of walnut halves, whole almonds, chocolate-covered raisins or caramel candy squares for filling|
|Assorted colored sugars (optional)|
- Grease cookie sheets. Remove dough from wrapper according to package directions. Divide dough into 4 equal sections. Reserve 1 section; cover and refrigerate remaining 3 sections.
- Roll out reserved dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Sprinkle with flour to minimize sticking, if necessary. Cut out 3-inch square cookie with sharp knife. Transfer cookie to prepared cookie sheet.
- Place desired "surprise" filling in center of cookie. (If using caramel candy square, place so that caramel forms diamond shape within square.)
- Bring up 4 corners of dough towards center; pinch gently to seal. Repeat steps with remaining dough and fillings, placing cookies about 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar, if desired. Freeze cookies 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
Make extra batches of these simple cookies and store in freezer in heavy-duty freezer bags. Take out a few at a time for kids' after-school treats.
Check out more recipes for Butter & Sugar