Sweet Potato Gratin
Makes 6 to 8 servings
|3||pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 large)|
|1/2||cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, divided|
|1/4||cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided|
|2/3||cup orange juice|
|2||teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided|
|1/4||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|1/3||cup all-purpose flour|
|1/4||cup uncooked old-fashioned oats|
|1/3||cup chopped pecans or walnuts|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake sweet potatoes about 1 hour or until tender. Or, pierce sweet potatoes several times with fork and place on microwavable plate. Microwave on HIGH 16 to 18 minutes, rotating and turning potatoes over after 9 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut hot sweet potatoes lengthwise into halves. Scrape hot pulp from skins into large bowl.
- Beat 1/4 cup butter and 2 tablespoons sugar into sweet potatoes with electric mixer at medium speed until butter is melted. Add eggs, orange juice, 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Beat until smooth. Pour mixture into 1-1/2-quart baking dish or gratin dish; smooth top.
- For topping, combine flour, oats, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in medium bowl. Cut in remaining 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle topping evenly over sweet potatoes.*
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are heated through. For crisper topping, broil 5 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
Check out more recipes for Vegetable Side Dish