Tandoori-Style Chicken with Cucumber Raita
Tandoori-style chicken from a hot grill beautifully captures the delicious results of the tandoor oven.
Makes 6 servings
|1-1/2||pounds chicken thighs, skin removed|
|1||small onion, coarsely chopped|
|1/3||cup plain fat-free yogurt|
|1||tablespoon tomato paste|
|2||large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped|
|2||teaspoons chopped fresh ginger|
|1/2||jalapeño pepper,* seeded|
|Peel of 1/2 lemon, coarsely chopped|
|6||rounds whole wheat pita bread|
*Jalapeño peppers can sting and irritate the skin, so wear rubber gloves when handling peppers and do not touch your eyes.
- Prepare Garam Masala; set aside.
- Lightly score each chicken thigh twice with sharp knife; place in large heavy-duty resealable food storage bag.
- Place onion, yogurt, tomato paste, garlic, ginger, jalapeño pepper, 1 teaspoon Garam Masala, paprika and lemon peel in food processor or blender; process until smooth. Add to chicken pieces in plastic bag; seal bag tightly and turn to coat chicken thoroughly. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Prepare Cucumber Raita; refrigerate.
- Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade. Grill chicken on covered grill over medium coals 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear, turning once. Serve with Cucumber Raita and pitas. Garnish as desired.
|Serving Size:||1/6 of total recipe|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Calories from Fat||26 %|
Check out more recipes for Middle Eastern