Tomato, Mozzarella & Basil Salad
Makes 4 servings
|2||tablespoons red wine vinegar|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|1/4||teaspoon dry mustard|
|Generous dash black pepper|
|1/3||cup olive or vegetable oil|
|4||Italian plum tomatoes|
|6||ounces mozzarella cheese|
|8||to 10 fresh basil leaves|
- For dressing, combine vinegar, garlic, salt, mustard and pepper in small bowl. Add oil in slow steady stream, whisking until oil is thoroughly blended.
- Slice tomatoes and cheese into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Trim cheese slices to size of tomato slices.
- Place tomato and cheese slices in large, shallow bowl or glass baking dish. Pour dressing over slices. Marinate, covered, in refrigerator at least 30 minutes or up to 3 hours, turning slices occasionally.
- Layer basil leaves with largest leaf on bottom, then roll up jelly-roll fashion. Slice basil roll into 1/4-inch-thick slices; separate into strips.
- Arrange tomato and cheese slices alternately on serving plate or 4 individual salad plates. Sprinkle with basil strips; drizzle with remaining dressing.
Check out more recipes for Italian