Baking Shaped Cookies
Also known as pressed cookies, shaped cookies are created by pressing dough through a pastry bag or cookie press to form fancy shapes. Shaped cookies can also be formed by hand-shaping the cookie dough into simple designs.
To make shaped cookies with a pastry bag:
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Spoon dough into pastry tube fitted with desired tip. Pipe onto prepared cookie sheets. Pipe all cookies at once; dough will get stiff upon standing.
You should pipe all of the
dough at one time.
- Bake until set. Carefully remove parchment paper to countertop; cool completely.
- Peel cookies off parchment paper.
Remove the cookies
from the parchment.
To make shaped cookies with a cookie press:
- Fit cookie press with desired plate. (To make different shapes from the same dough, change plates after each batch). Tip: If the recipe calls for a cookie press, do not try shaping the cookies by hand unless the recipe states that you may do so. The consistency of the dough was formulated to work with a cookie press.
- Fill press with dough; press dough onto cookie sheets. If your first efforts with a cookie press are unsuccessful, transfer the dough back to the cookie press and try again.
Press the dough onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake until just set. Cool, as directed.
Not what you're looking for? Try these:
- Cookie Recipes: Find recipes on this page that run the gamut of cookie types, from bar cookies to drop cooking and everything in between.
- Decorating Cookies: While tasting cookies is surely the most fun, decorating cookies might be a close second. Find tips to help you decorate in this article.
- How to Make Cookies: Who doesn't love a cookie? And since there are so many varieties of cookies available, it's easy to find a favorite -- or several favorites, for that matter. Learn how to make cookies at HowStuffWorks.
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.