- Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat oil in heavy, large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken pieces to hot oil in a single layer without crowding.
- Cook 8 to 10 minutes per side or until chicken is browned; remove with tongs. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
Remove chicken pieces to a clean plate after browning.
- Add braising liquid and other ingredients per recipe to saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or as recipe directs.
- Add chicken to ingredients in saucepan. Cover and simmer according to recipe directions, typically 40 to 45 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink in center.
Not what you're looking for? Try these:
- Chicken Recipes: Chicken is a very versatile food that can take on a variety of different flavors and be used in all kinds of dishes. Find some suggestions on our Chicken Recipes page.
- Grilling Chicken: Chicken on the grill is a less-mess and delicious way to prepare poultry. Find helpful tips on grilling chicken in this article.
- Preparing Chicken: Learn some basic chicken preparation techniques in this article, including how to stuff a chicken, how to marinate chicken, and more.
- Cooking Chicken: Cooking chicken can be a bit difficult because it's imperative that the meat is cooked all the way through. Gather helpful tips at HowStuffWorks.
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.