How to Cut and Slice ShallotsShallots are believed to have originated in Palestine. Although they resemble garlic in appearance, they are a member of the onion family.
- Remove papery outer skin from shallot. Cut off root end; discard.
- Place a shallot on cutting board. Holding utility knife horizontally, make cuts in shallot parallel to board, almost to root end. Cut shallot vertically into thin slices, holding it with fingers to keep its shape.
Cut down on the shallot parallel
to the cutting board.
- Turn shallot and cut crosswise to root end. (The closer the cuts are spaced, the finer the shallot will be chopped.)
Not what you're looking for? Try these:
- Vegetable Recipes: Both tasty and good for you, vegetables are a great vehicle to try out new seasonings and cooking methods. Find plenty of ideas on our Vegetable Recipes page.
- Grilling Vegetables: Grilling vegetables is not only easy but it also produces a rich tasting, healthy treat. Learn how to grill vegetables in this article.
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.