YIELD Makes 4 servings
|4||veal cutlets, cut 3/8 inch thick (about 4 ounces each)|
|4||tablespoons olive oil, divided|
|1||small red bell pepper, finely chopped|
|1||medium onion, finely chopped|
|1||stalk celery, finely chopped|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|1||can (14-1/2 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained and finely chopped|
|1||cup chicken broth|
|1||tablespoon tomato paste|
|1||tablespoon chopped fresh parsley|
|3/4||teaspoon dried basil|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|2/3||cup fine dry bread crumbs|
|1/4||cup all-purpose flour|
|1‑1/2||cups shredded mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces)|
|2/3||cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese|
|Fresh basil leaves for garnish|
|Hot cooked pasta|
- Pound veal with meat mallet to 1/4-inch thickness; pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- To make tomato sauce, heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add bell pepper, onion, celery and garlic, cook and stir 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with juice, broth, tomato paste, parsley, sugar, dried basil, salt and black pepper. Cover; simmer over low heat 20 minutes. Uncover; cook over medium heat 20 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- Beat egg in shallow bowl. Spread bread crumbs and flour on separate plates. Dip veal cutlets to coat both sides evenly, first in flour, then in egg, then in bread crumbs. Press crumb coating firmly onto veal.
- Heat butter and 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add veal. Cook 3 minutes per side or until browned.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove veal with slotted spatula to ungreased 13X9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over veal. Spoon tomato sauce evenly over mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over tomato sauce. Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon oil over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes or until veal is tender and cheese is golden. Garnish with basil leaves, if desired. Serve with pasta.
You Might Also Like
You don't need a PhD in cooking to prepare authentic European cuisine, because all you have to do is follow our recipes.
Anyone can cook. Take this to heart the next time you embark of trying to cook authentic French cuisine. Read our recipes to find out everything you need to know.