This soup is about as simple as you can get, using ingredients readily available in your refrigerator and pantry. I had some particularly flavourful homemade chicken stock which really made all the difference in this comforting bowl. It would also be wonderful with a good strong vegetable stock.
I started making this soup at 11:30 and it was ready to eat by noon. Of course, you can add other vegetables if you have them, but I liked the almost purity of flavours in this soup. I made a fairly large pot of it and it just got better the next day. If you like you can add a bit of grated Parmesan cheese over top. I just used a bit of parsley for garnish.
|1 tbsp||olive oil|
|1||medium onion, diced|
|2||celery ribs, sliced|
|6 cups||chicken or vegetable stock|
|1 can||cannelini beans, drained and rinsed|
|1/2 cup||dried small pasta shells|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
|Parsley for garnish|
- In a large pot heat olive oil until it shimmers. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery and cook another 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until the carrots and celery are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add beans and pasta shells and cook until pasta is cooked, but still al dente, about 8-10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish and serve