YIELD Makes 4 servings
|1/2||cup reduced-sodium soy sauce|
|1/4||cup lime juice|
|2||fresh red Thai chilies or 1 large red jalapeño pepper,* finely chopped*|
|1||cup vegetable oil|
|8||ounces firm tofu, drained and cut into triangles|
|1||(8-ounce) jicama, peeled and chopped or 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained|
|2||medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (1 pound)|
|2||large leeks, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices|
|8||ounces very thin dried rice vermicelli|
|1/4||cup chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh mint|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro|
|Mint leaves for garnish|
- Combine soy sauce, sugar, lime juice and chilies in small bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in wok over medium-high heat until hot. Add tofu; stir-fry 4 minutes per side or until golden. Remove with slotted spatula to baking sheet lined with paper towels; drain.
- Reheat oil. Add jicama; stir-fry 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring often. Remove with slotted spoon to same baking sheet. Repeat with sweet potatoes in 2 batches, reheating oil each time. Add leeks. Stir-fry 1 minute. Pour into strainer over heatproof bowl; drain. Reserve 1 tablespoon oil.
- Place water in wok; bring to a boil. Add vermicelli; cook 3 minutes or until tender but still firm, stirring often. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop cooking; drain again and place in large bowl. Add reserved oil; toss lightly to coat. Cut through noodles several times to shorten the strands to 8- or 10-inch lengths.
- Add soy mixture to wok; heat just until sugar dissolves. Add noodles; toss to coat. Gently stir in tofu, vegetables, peanuts, mint and cilantro. Garnish, if desired.
You need more than a wok and oil to cook proper Chinese cuisine. Read these articles and learn which ingredients you'll need to prepare authentic Chinese cuisine.
Contrary to popular belief, Southern cuisine does not have to involve frying everything (but it helps in many cases). Learn the secrets of country cooking with our Southern recipes. Y'all enjoy.