Miss Virgin Islands, Shayla S. Solomon, submitted this recipe for Mom's Stewed Fish with Plantains.
|2||Old Wife fish (pot fish) cleaned|
|2||medium onions sliced|
|1||medium green pepper sliced|
|1||celery stalk chopped|
|1||stick of butter|
|3||tablespoons tomato paste|
|1/2||teaspoon salt (depends on the amount of Bohio seasoning used)|
|1/2||teaspoon of Oregano|
|1/4||cup of oil|
|2||cups of water|
|1/2||cup of cooking oil (for plantains)|
- Cut a slit in the Old Wife (below the head or on the tail end)
- Season with the Bohio. Be sure to get some in the slits.
- Heat frying pan with oil.
- Brown the fish on both sides and remove from the pan.
- Add onions and pepper to the pan at a medium heat for about 2-4 minutes.
- Add the two cups of water and three tablespoons of tomato paste.
- Add the fish(s) and hot pepper.
- Add juice from lemons for taste.
- Cook for about 20 minutes (depending on size) until fish flakes.
- Serve with fresh lime slices and hot pepper sauce.
Check out more recipes for Southern