Makes 1 dozen (3-inch) cookies
|1||package (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough|
|1/4||cup all-purpose flour|
|1/2||teaspoon each banana and strawberry extract (optional)|
|Red and yellow food colorings|
|Colored sugar (optional)|
|12||(8-inch) lollipop sticks or wooden popsicle sticks*|
*Lollipop sticks and popsicle sticks are available at crafts stores and where cake decorating supplies are sold.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets.
- Remove dough from wrapper; place in large bowl. Let dough stand at room temperature about 15 minutes.
- Add flour to dough; beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Divide dough in half; place in separate bowls. Add banana extract, if desired, and yellow food coloring to dough in one bowl. Add strawberry extract, if desired, and red food coloring to dough in remaining bowl. Beat doughs separately at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended and evenly colored. Wrap doughs separately in plastic wrap; freeze dough 30 minutes.
- Shape red dough into rope about 18 inches long on lightly floured surface. Repeat with yellow dough. Twist ropes together. Divide rope into 3 equal pieces. Working with one piece at a time, shape dough into rope about 20 inches long. Cut into 4 equal pieces. Coil each piece into circle; place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. (Make sure to leave room for lollipop sticks.) Sprinkle cookies with colored sugar, if desired. Refrigerate about 15 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Carefully poke lollipop stick into edge of each cookie. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on cookie sheets.
Check out more recipes for Butter & Sugar