In the late 1980s, Americans went crazy for oats. Suddenly oatmeal, the scourge of breakfast choices, found itself the most popular girl at the dance. Why all the attention? A study came out stating that eating oats could lower cholesterol levels in the blood.
Faster than you could say "oatmeal cookie," oatmeal products were flying off the shelves. Unfortunately, even though these products contained oatmeal, many them weren't as healthy as advertised. For example, oat bran muffins exploded in popularity, but dieters didn't realize that the egg yolks in the muffins negated any positive effects from the oats. Fear not, though -- it's not all bad news. We simply recommend you make wise and informed choices. The oat bran craze continues today under the guise of the whole-grain trend.
Do you love food? We do, too. Check out the links below to satisfy your appetite!
- "Atkins diet: What's behind the claims?" Mayo Clinic. July 16, 2009. (July 22, 2010) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/atkins-diet/my00648
- Colenso, Maria. "History of TV Dinners." TLC Cooking. 2010. (July 22, 2010) https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/menus/history-tv-dinner.htm
- "Fad." Merriam-Webster. 2010. (July 22, 2010) http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fad
- "Gelatin Alternatives." VegCooking. 2010. (July 22, 2010) http://www.vegcooking.com/vegcooking-gelatinalt.asp
- Hertzmann, Peter. "Fondue." Hertzmann.com. 2006. (July 22, 2010) http://www.hertzmann.com/articles/2006/fondue/
- Huget, Jennifer LaRue. "Space-Age Snacks." Washington Post. July 21, 2009. (July 22, 2010) http://voices.washingtonpost.com/checkup/2009/07/space-age_snacks.html
- Ingram, Karen. "Food fads throughout the years remain mysterious." Kansas State Collegian. March 4, 2010. (July 22, 2010) http://www.kstatecollegian.com/edge/food-fads-throughout-the-years-remain-mysterious-1.2179482
- Milian, Mark. "Why the Internet Loves Bacon." Los Angeles Times. April 1, 2009. (July 22, 2010) http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/04/bacon.html
- Miller, Stephen. "Crock-Pot Chef Fed Slow-Cook Craze." Wall Street Journal. March 5, 2010. (July 22, 2010) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703502804575101964048969670.html
- Pearlman, Robert. "Space Food: From Squeeze Tubes to Celebrity Chefs." Space.com. Nov. 23, 2006. (July 22, 2010) http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/061123_space_food.html
- Reddy, Sumathi. "New York City's Cupcake Economy." Wall Street Journal. July 16, 2010. http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2010/07/16/new-york-citys-cupcake-economy/
- Schwartz, Sara. "Top 10 Most Unusual State Fair Foods." Delish. 2010. (July 22, 2010) http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/unusual-state-fair-food
- Toufexis, Anastasia; Dolan, Barbara; Wyss, Dennis. "Health: Going Gaga Over Oat Cuisine." Time. Sept. 12, 1988. (July 22, 2010) http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,968398,00.html
- Wade, Lisa. "The Icky Era of Aspic." Sociological Images. Feb. 15, 2009. (July 22, 2010) http://contexts.org/socimages/2009/02/15/the-icky-era-of-aspic/
- Wade, Lisa. "JELL-O for Salads!" Sociological Images. Sept. 20, 2009. (July 22, 2010) http://contexts.org/socimages/2009/09/20/jell-o-for-salads/
Lobster has long been associated with fine dining. But could newly imposed tariffs change that? HowStuffWorks looks at lobster's tanking price.