Stuffed bell peppers are the perfect food to freeze and reheat. You can buy the peppers while they're in season, prepare the meal, and then freeze them for later. Use a beef-based filling or go for an entirely vegetarian meal and stuff them with vegetables and cheese. To freeze, cool them after cooking and place in a freezer-safe plastic container. For best results, don't stack the peppers on top of each other. They'll keep in the freezer for about 3 months.
Learn more about freezing foods below.
- Andress, Elizabeth L., Ph.D. and Judy A. Harrison, Ph.D. "Foods That Do Not Freeze Well." National Center for Home Food Preservation. (Nov. 27, 2011) http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/freeze/dont_freeze_foods.html
- Barrett, Teri Tsang. "One Month of Make-Ahead Meals." EveryDay with Rachael Ray. (Nov. 27, 2011) http://www.rachaelraymag.com/food-how-to/grocery-shopping-tips/one-month-of-make-ahead-meals
- Bastin, Sandra. "Make-Ahead Meals." Cooperative Extension Service, University of Kentucky -- College of Agriculture. Aug. 2007. (Nov. 27, 2011) http://www.ca.uky.edu/hes/fcs/factshts/FN-SSB.095.PDF
- Better Homes and Gardens. "Freezing Soup." (Nov. 27, 2011) http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/food-storage-safety/freezing-soup/
- Fink, Leslie. "5 Make-Ahead Meals." Weight Watchers. (Nov. 27, 2011) http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=10201&sc=126
- Food and Drug Administration. "Refrigerator & Freezer Storage Chart." (Nov. 27, 2011)http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/ResourcesForYou/HealthEducators/ucm109315.pdf
- Food Safety and Inspection Service. "Freezing and Food Safety." June 3, 2010. (Nov. 27, 2011) http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/focus_on_freezing/index.asp
- Good Housekeeping. "Homemade Chicken Broth." (Nov. 27, 2011) http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipes/cooking-tips/homemade-chicken-broth#slide-1
- Oesterle, Allison M. and Elizabeth L. Andress. "Freezing Casseroles, Soups and Stews." National Center for Home Food Preservation. Mar. 2004. (Nov. 27, 2011) http://nchfp.uga.edu/tips/winter/Freezing_Prepared_Foods.html
- Reader's Digest. "Facts for Freezing Soup." 2005. (Nov. 27, 2011) http://www.rd.com/food/facts-for-freezing-soup/
Pasta may not be as bad for you as people have thought. HowStuffWorks Now explores the health benefits of this Italian staple.