Maybe we should have talked about cheese before beer; after all, the combination of cheese and chocolate requires a slightly smaller leap of faith. (Think of all the decadent Italian treats that are based on ricotta and mascarpone -- not to mention a plethora of chocolate cheesecake innovations.) It's last but not least for a good reason, though: the innovation of two Oregon-based artisan food companies takes the concept of cheese and chocolate to new heights.
In 2004, Rogue Creamery and Rogue Ales joined forces, and foodies rejoiced. The farmers brought Holstein whole milk cheese curd, the brewers contributed their infamous Chocolate Stout, and the award-winning Rogue Chocolate Stout Cheddar was born [source: Realbeer.com].
That's right, a chocolate cheddar, totally debunking the notion that a milk-based chocolate product should be bland and sweet. But if the dark brown marbling of Rogue's cheese is a bit too intimidating, there are other options. Award-winning Cocoa Cardona is an aged goat milk cheese with a subtle chocolate flavor, thanks to its cocoa-rubbed rind [source: Carr Valley Cheese]. An alternative approach: Try serving an appetizer of hot, crusty French bread drizzled with olive oil and topped with dark chocolate and Brie.
- Bayless, Rick. "Rick Bayless' Mexican mole recipe." The Guardian. March 14, 2010 (April 5, 2010)
- Beer Advocate. "Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout -- Brooklyn Brewery." 2010. (March 29, 2010)http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45/680/?ba=bros
- Captial Grille. (March 29, 2010)http://www.capitalgrille.com
- Carr Valley Cheese. "Cocoa Cardona -- Goat Milk Cheese." 2010 (April 5, 2010)http://www.carrvalleycheese.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=63
- emerils.com. "Poblano Chocolate Mole." 2010. (April 5, 2010)http://www.emerils.com/recipe/5488/Poblano-Chocolate-Mole
- ExtremeChocolate.com. "Let's Hoist a Chocolate Beer!" 2010. (March 29, 2010)http://www.extremechocolate.com/lets-hoist-a-chocolate-beer.html
- Fungi Perfecti. "CordyChi Chocolate." (April 14, 2010)http://www.fungi.com/gourmet/chocolate.html
- Lake Champlain Chocolates. (March 29, 2010)http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com
- Lindt. (April 5, 2010)http://www.lindt.com/int/swf/eng/products/excellence/chili/
- National Public Radio. "Nigella Lawson's St. Patrick's Day Baking Tip: Guinness." March 16, 2010. (April 5, 2010)http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124611065
- National Public Radio. "Savoring Salt and Chocolate." Dec. 3, 2005. (April 5, 2010)http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5038240
- National Public Radio. "When Cinnamon Moved Markets." Feb. 2,2010. (April 12, 2010)http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2010/02/podcast_spice_economics.html
- Newtree. (April 5, 2010)http://www.newtree.com
- Rawlinson, Heather. "The Meat and Chocolate Trend." Serious Eats. Sept. 23, 2009. (March 29, 2010)http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/09/chocolate-and-meat-trend-bacon-vosges-mole.html
- Realbeer.com. "Chocolate Stout Cheddar." Aug. 3, 2004. (April 5, 2010)http://www.realbeer.com/news/articles/news-002293.php
- Recipezaar. "Chocolate Covered Potato Chips." Dec. 31, 2004. (April 5, 2010)http://www.recipezaar.com/Chocolate-Covered-Potato-Chips-107358
- Rogue Ales. (March 29, 2010)http://www.rogue.com/beers/chocolate-stout.php
- Ruby, Jeff. "Bill Kim's Belly Shack Opens in Logan Square." Chicago Magazine. November 2009. (April 5, 2010)http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/November-2009/Bill-Kims-Belly-Shack-opens-in-Logan-Square/
- Vosges Haut-Chocolat. (March 29, 2010)http://www.vosgeschocolate.com
- "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." Dir. Kenney, J.M. Stuart, Mel. Warner Home Video DVD. 2005.
Do you know the carbon footprint of that chocolate bar you're craving? Take a look with HowStuffWorks.