If you're a natural-born organizer, consider starting a food drive where you live, work or worship. Your local food bank will be able to give you suggestions on how to get started. From arranging for collection bins to getting fliers together, there are some details involved, but every business or community effort starts with one motivated individual.
If your child's school doesn't have a school breakfast program, you might be instrumental in starting one. The USDA publishes a School Breakfast Toolkit that helps parents, administrators and others tackle the task of adding an early morning meal to the school day. With some time and a little help, you can do great things.
- Mosley, Walter. "Ten Things You Can Do to Fight World Hunger." The Nation. 6/1/09. 10/19/10.http://www.thenation.com/article/ten-things-you-can-do-fight-world-hunger
- Channel 1 Food Bank. "Simple Things You Can Do to Help Fight Hunger." Undated. 10/19/10.http://www.channel-one.org/food%20drive%20kit%20new.pdf
- EPA. "Basic Information about Food Waste." 8/24/10. 10/19/10.http://www.epa.gov/osw/conserve/materials/organics/food/fd-basic.htm
- EPA. "Feeding the Hungry and Reducing Solid Waste Through Food Recovery."http://www.epa.gov/osw/conserve/materials/organics/pubs/wast_not.pdf
- Heifer International. "Ten Things You Can Do Today to End World Hunger." Undated. 10/19/10.http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.3691305/
- Krishna, Durga. "Ending Hunger in Your Community." Undated. 10/19/10.http://www.endhunger.org/PDFs/durga_brochure.pdf
- PR Newswire. "Feeding America Launches Hunger Action Month in September: Celebrities, Government Leaders, Volunteers and Corporations Join Forces to End Domestic Hunger." 9/09. 10/18/10.http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/feeding-america-launches-hunger-action-month-in-september-celebrities-government-leaders-volunteers-and-corporations-join-forces-to-end-domestic-hunger-101868578.html
- Society of St. Andrew. "Ten Things You Can Do To Fight Hunger." Undated 10/19/10.http://www.endhunger.org/ten_things.htm
- USDA. "Faith Based and Neighborhood Partnerships." 12/16/09. 10/19/10.http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os_gAC9-wMJ8QY0MDpxBDA09nXw9DFxcXQ-cAA_1wkA5kFaGuQBXeASbmnu4uBgbe5hB5AxzA0UDfzyM_N1W_IDs7zdFRUREAZXAypA!!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfUDhNVlZMVDMxMEJUMTBJQ01IMURERDFDUDA!/?contentidonly=true&contentid=fnp_page01-4A.xml
- USDA. "School Breakfast Program." 3/4/09. 10/18/10.http://www.fns.usda.gov/CND/Breakfast/toolkit/Default.htm
- Walker, Paul David. "Is Our Attitude Toward Suffering 'Let Them Eat Cake?" Huffington Post. 7/13/10. 10/19/10.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-david-walker/is-our-attitude-toward-su_b_641884.html
- World Food Programme. "10 Things You Can Do To Fight Hunger."10/13/09.10/19/10.http://www.wfp.org/stories/10-things-you-can-do-world-food-day
- World Food Programme. "12 Ways To Help Fight Hunger This Holiday Season." 12/23/09. 10/18/10.http://www.wfp.org/stories/12-ways-help-fight-hunger-holiday-season
HowStuffWorks looks at the popularity of quinoa and how it affected farmers who grew it in South America.