It's no surprise that tofu is nutritious in savory dishes, but it's also a great addition to desserts. You know you can use it as a cream or cheese substitute, but it can also take the place of eggs in recipes that aren't using egg as a leavening agent. Instead of cream cheese or ricotta, try silken tofu. It's an inspired solution when you're preparing a dessert for someone who is lactose intolerant. Tofu is often made using calcium sulfate to set the curds as part of the extraction process. This makes it a good source of calcium for people who avoid dairy.
The berry fruit shake below is a sweet treat, but why not use sweetened silken tofu as a fresh fruit dip with apples, peaches and strawberries, too?
- Blueberry Mousse
- Vegan Cheesecake with Hemp!
- Orange Crepes
- Cooks.com. "Tofu Marinade." (12/30/11). http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1715,158173-249196,00.html
- Davidson, Alan. "The Oxford Companion to Food." Oxford University Press. 1999.
- Davis, Melissa Ray. "How to Cook Tofu Like the Pros: Dry-fry and Marinate Method." (12/30/11). http://melissaraydavis.hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Cook_Tofu_Like_the_Pros
- Encyclopedia Britannica. "Tofu." Undated. 1/16/10. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/598002/tofu
- In Mamas Kitchen. "To Your Health: Tofu - A Gift from the Mighty Soybean." (12/30/11). http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/FOOD_IS_ART_II/health/tofu.html
- Merano, Vanjo. "11 Ways to Cook Tofu." Panlasang Pinoy. 3/6/11. (12/30/11). http://panlasangpinoy.com/2011/03/06/11-ways-to-cook-tofu/
- Miller, Gloria Bley. "The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook." Simon & Schuster. 1994.
- Nutrition for All." Undated. 1/15/10. http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/FOOD_IS_ART_II/health/tofu.html
- Sisson, Mark. "10 Things to Know about Tofu." Undated. 1/17/10. http://www.streetdirectory.com/food_editorials/health_food/vegetarian_food/10_things_to_know_about_tofu.html
- Soy Foods. "Tofu." Undated. 1/17/10. http://www.soyfoods.com/soyfoodsdescriptions/tofu.html
- Tofutti. "About Tofutti." (12/30/11). http://www.tofutti.com/au.shtml
- Yum Recipes. "About Tofu." Undated. 1/17/10. http://www.yum-recipes.com/Recipe/Uncategorized/1142_About_Tofu.html
Skyr is high in protein, low in sugar and tastes better than many yogurts on the market today. HowStuffWorks explains all you need to know about skyr.