Salad dressing is often the best and worst ingredient in salad. Add too much, and it covers up the natural flavor elements you're trying to create and contributes loads of fat and sodium. Add too little, and you're left with a pretty pile of good-for-you ingredients no one wants to eat. Using a prepared salad dressing is a fast option. Prepared dressings last just about forever in your fridge, and they're easy to squirt on at the last minute. If you want something quick, simple and natural, though, opt for a vinaigrette dressing you can prepare on the fly. Once you get used to it, you'll like the bite and love the fact that you'll be able to count the ingredients on the fingers of one hand.
Vinaigrette dressing is super easy to make and allows for lots of creativity in your choice of spices, oils and vinegars. You probably have most if not all of the ingredients on hand, too. To make a perfect vinaigrette, just remember to get the proportions right. If you want, say, a cup of vinaigrette dressing, combine two-thirds of a cup of oil to a third of a cup of vinegar. It's that simple.
- Davidson, Alan. "The Oxford Companion to Food." Oxford University Press. 1999.
- Diet Tips & Fitness. "7 Quick and Healthy Salad Recipes." (10/24/11). http://www.diettipsandfitness.com/diet-nutrition/healthy-salad-recipes.html
- European Food Information Council. "Opinion of the Scientific Committee on Food on the use of carbon monoxide as component of packaging." 2001. (10/24/11). http://ec.europa.eu/food/fs/sc/scf/out112_en.pdf
- Food Marketing Institute. "Food Keeper - Lettuce." (10/24/11). http://www.fmi.org/consumer/foodkeeper/
- George Mateljan Foundation. "Better than Salad Bar -- Quick Salad Ideas." (10/24/11). http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=whfkitqa&dbid=46
- Green, Aliza. "Starting With Ingredients." Running Press Book Publishers. 2006.
- Kitchen Stewardship. "Kitchen Tip: Quick and Easy Salad Prep." 9/22/09. (10/24/11). http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/09/22/kitchen-tip-salad-prep/
- Kraft Foods. "Salad Tips." (10/24/11). http://www.kraftrecipes.com/cooking-tips/foodbasics/saladcenter/saladtips.aspx
- Practical Hydroponics and Greenhouses. "Modified Atmosphere Packaging." (10/24/11). http://hydroponics.com.au/free-articles/issue-26-modified-atmosphere-packaging
- The Kitchn. "Best Way To Keep Greens Fresh?" 9/13/10. (10/24/11). http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/tips-techniques/longlasting-greens-how-to-keep-salad-greens-fresh-126732
Pasta may not be as bad for you as people have thought. HowStuffWorks Now explores the health benefits of this Italian staple.