Regularly popping hard candy into your mouth might be a catalyst for creating a discolored smile. Many sweets contain coloring agents such as blue or red dyes, or even vegetable juices. Although these bright hues make eating sweets a lot more fun, they can also promote staining of your tooth enamel. A good rule of thumb to use in this case is, if it stains your tongue, it'll probably stain your teeth. Watch out for culprits like popsicles, too, because they may turn your teeth colors as well. This is especially true if you eat them often. Keep the sweets to a minimum, though, and your teeth will shine more brightly.
Move on to the next page for more information about keeping your smile white.
- Cannas, Antonello. "Tannins: fascinating but sometimes dangerous molecules." Cornell University Department of Animal Science. (Sept. 1, 2011) http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxicagents/tannin.html
- "Coffee, Tea, & Your Teeth." Better Homes & Gardens. (Sept. 1, 2011) http://www.bhg.com/health-family/staying-healthy/dental-health/coffee-tea-your-teeth/
- Colgate. "Common Causes of Tooth Discoloration." Colgate.com. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.colgate.com/app/CP/US/EN/OC/Information/Articles/Oral-and-Dental-Health-Basics/Common-Concerns/Tooth-Discoloration/article/Tooth-Discoloration.cvsp
- Drugs.com. "Chromogen." Drugs.com. (Sept. 1, 2011) http://www.drugs.com/dict/chromogen.html
- Freeman, David. "Foods and Habits That Stain Your Teeth." WebMD.com. Nov. 10, 2009. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/foods-stain-teeth-feature
- Fritz, Anne L. "12 Foods That Stain Teeth." EverydayHealth.com. Aug. 5, 2011. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.everydayhealth.com/photogallery/12-foods-that-stain-teeth.aspx#/slide-1
- "Gnashers may be secret of success." BBC News. Dec. 27, 2005. (Aug. 26, 2010) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4450754.stm
- Kam, Katherine. "Tooth Enamel Erosion." WebMD. July 8, 2010. (Sept. 1, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/healthy-teeth-10/tooth-enamel-protection
- Neighmond, Patti. "White Wine Stains Teeth, Too." NPR. April1, 2009. (Sept. 1, 2011) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102602757
- "Slideshow: 10 Secrets to Brighter, Whiter Teeth." WebMD.com. July 28 2010. (Sept. 1, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/slideshow-10-secrets-to-whiter-teeth
- "Slideshow: Foods That Stain Your Teeth." WebMD.com. Aug. 26, 2010. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/foods-stain-teeth-feature
- "The Truth About Healthy Teeth: Your Guide to at-Home Dental Care." WebMD.com. Aug. 20, 2010. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/healthy-teeth-10/slideshow-enamel-erosion
HowStuffWorks looks at the composition of coconut oil and whether it has any health benefits.