Fruits, Veggies and Dips
When you're hungry, you want something you can make quickly. Cut-up fruits and vegetables take very little time to prepare. Jazz up those veggies and fruits with tasty and healthy dips. These are all great ideas for midday snacks. They do great in a child's lunchbox, too.
- Apple Yogurt Dippers -- Core and slice up one apple. For the dip, combine a half cup of plain yogurt, a dash of cinnamon and vanilla extract in a bowl.
- Veggies and Hummus -- Hummus is more nutritious than regular sour cream dip. Buy hummus at your grocery store or make your own at home for a lower-fat version.
- Cherry Tomatoes and Ranch -- Cherry tomatoes need no prep -- just pop them in your mouth. For a low-fat dip, buy dried ranch seasoning and mix it with plain yogurt instead of sour cream. Tip: Look for Greek yogurt. It tastes more like sour cream than regular yogurt.
- Pretzels and Applesauce -- Just what it sounds like. Pretzels are low in fat, and dipping them into applesauce provides a salty-sweet yummy combo. Stick to natural applesauce without added sugar.
- Fruit Salad and Yogurt Dip -- Fill up a bowl with slices of your favorite fruits and berries. For a dip, combine some low-fat yogurt with a little bit of orange juice, honey and cinnamon.