Sandwiches cut into shapes may seem a little childish, but you can't deny that they're fun to prepare. You can make these sandwiches with your kids for their lunchboxes. You can also make more elegantly-styled finger sandwiches for yourself or a get-together.
All you need are some fun cookie cutters in different shapes and sizes. Make your sandwich as usual, then cut out shapes using the cutter. You can even buy cutters made especially for sandwiches that minimize waste. Cookie cutters are fine, though. You might try shapes like stars, hearts or flowers. You could even buy letter cookie cutters and spell out your child's name or a cute message.
Just about any kind of sandwich will work for these. For a fancy touch, make "grown up" sandwiches, cut into small shapes and served as finger food.
Try some of these ideas for healthy sandwiches. Use multigrain or whole wheat bread for added nutrition.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- "Apple Yogurt Dip." Family Fun Magazine. 2009. (Sept. 9, 2009) http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=13685
- "Dietary fiber: An essential part of a healthy diet." MayoClinic.com. June 23, 2009. (Sept. 9, 2009) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033
- "For the Lunch Box." Martha Stewart Living. September 1998. (Sept. 9, 2009) http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/for-the-lunch-box
- "Fruit Salad and Dip." FamilyEducation.com. 2009. (Sept. 9, 2009) http://recipes.familyeducation.com/snacks/fruit-salad-and-dip/57132.html?detoured=1
- "Funny Face Pizza." CafeZoom.com. 2006. (Sept. 9, 2009) http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/cafe/funnyfacepizza.html
- Magee, Elaine. "Kids Just Want to Have Fun with Food." MedicineNet.com. 2009. (Sept. 9, 2009) http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=63850
- "New junk food fad: Deep-fried Twinkies." CNN.com. Sept. 18, 2002. (Sept. 9, 2009) http://archives.cnn.com/2002/US/West/09/18/offbeat.twinkie.reut/
- "Orange-Banana Smoothie Pops." Country Living. 2009. (Sept. 9, 2009) http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/orange-banana-smoothie-pops-recipe
- Topran, Marta. "Ten Smart Healthy Snacks for Moms and Kids." Cookie. 2009. (Sept. 9, 2009) http://www.cookiemag.com/food/2009/05/mom-kid-snacks
- Weeden, Colleen. "Kiddie Kabobs." Parents.com. 2009. (Sept. 9, 2009) http://www.parents.com/recipes/cooking/kid-friendly-food/kiddie-kabobs/
Raw milk is blamed for foodborne illnesses across the U.S., and is illegal to sell in several. But is it warranted? HowStuffWorks looks at raw milk.