Don't Step on a Scale
For many people, the scale is the proverbial giant elephant in the room. Many people try ignoring it to avoid facing facts -- those pesky extra pounds have once again snuck in and taken residence in unwelcome areas. Scale critics may be missing out, however. People who weigh in regularly (once a week is recommended) tend to notice when extra weight is slipping on. They are then able to nip it in the bud before two pounds turn into 20. Stick with the same scale every week and your results should be reliable. Savvy dieters and exercisers may also want to take measurements of the chest, arms, thighs, buttocks, waist and hips on a monthly basis. After all, muscle isn't weightless, so you might be losing inches even if the scale shows that you aren't dropping pounds [sources: Weight Watchers, MSNBC].
For more weight-loss myths and tips for a healthy diet, follow the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Albert, Sarah. "5 Weight Loss Myths." WebMD.com. (July 1, 2006). http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/5-weight-loss-myths
- Australia's Healthy Weight Weekhttp://www.healthyweightweek.com.au/index.asp?pageID=2145857411
- Fields, Jennifer. "10 Diet Myths That Won't Go Away." AOL Health.com. (2009). http://www.aolhealth.com/diet/basics/diet-myths
- Gordon, Sandra. "4 Diet Myths Debunked." Weight Watchers.com. (2009). http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=651&sc=3010
- Harris, Lisa. "Measure Up." Weight Watchers.com (Jan/Feb 2004). http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=19931&sc=3046
- Janzen, Jen. "Diet Myths." Ask Men.com. (2009). http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_200/209b_eating_well.html
- Keith, Kelley. "5 Things You Need to Know About Weight Loss Myths." (November 18, 2009). http://www.livestrong.com/article/3384-need-weight-loss-myths/
- MSNBC.com. "10 Weight-Loss Myths That Can Ruin Your Diet." (July 17, 2006). http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13897378
- NHS.uk. "Ten Weight-Loss Myths." (Sept. 21, 2009). http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/loseweight/Pages/Weightlossmyths.aspx
- Patz, Aviva and Marjorie Centofanni. "Weight Loss Myths Blasted." Psychology Today.com. (March 1, 2000). http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200003/weight-loss-myths-blasted
- Solo, Sally. "Busting 10 Diet Myths." Real Simple.com. (2009). http://www.realsimple.com/health/nutrition-diet/weight-loss/busting-10-diet-myths-10000001700385/
- Weight-Control Information Network. "Weight-loss and Nutrition Myths."http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/myths.htm
- Woodward, Susan. "10 Weight-Loss Myths: Don't Be Fooled!" (2009). http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100097046
If you're thinking of giving up meat, but can't stand the thought of never eating seafood again, you might want to consider the pescatarian diet.