Many people look forward to tailgating as a vacation from making wise food choices (such as carrot sticks) and save the health food for the other six days of the week.
If you're determined to prove that healthy can be fun and tasty, too, at least bring fruits and vegetables that are grill-friendly instead of the plain, raw variety. Grilling caramelizes sugars in foods, which brings out their sweetness. Just be sure to brush the food in oil first to keep it from burning, drying out or sticking.
Choose foods that are study enough for skewering. Among veggies, try whole onions or cherry tomatoes, or chunks of potatoes, sweet potatoes, golden squash, eggplant, sweet peppers and corn on the cob.
Fruits are little trickier. They're softer and juicier, so you may need a grilling basket. Try peach, apple and apricot halves or large chunks of pear and pineapple. You can also string chunks of fruits and vegetables on skewers, but be sure they all cook at about the same rate.
Fruits and vegetables take to condiments, too. Offer salt, pepper, ketchup, herb blends, steak sauce, caramel sauce, brown sugar -- whatever suits the produce.
As long as you treat your tailgating crowd to snacks everyone can safely enjoy, it's sure to be a success.
- Alaska Climate Research Center. Accessed July 23, 2010. http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/Climate/Normals/Daily/Fairbanks.html
- Arizona State University. "Alcohol on Campus: Frequently Asked Questions." Accessed July 19, 2010.www.asu.edu/counsel/brief/alcoholfaq.html
- AmericanHeritage.com "Tailgating: The History." American Heritage, October 2005. Accessed July 19, 2010.http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/2005/5/2005_5_11.shtml
- Chakerian, Peter. The Browns Fan's Tailgating Guide. Gray & Company, 2008.
- Egg Safety Center. "Egg Safety." Accessed July 22, 2010.http://www.eggsafety.org/consumers/egg-safety
- Elon University. "Rhodes Stadium." Accessed July 14, 2010.http://www.elonphoenix.com/e-web/athletics/facilities/rhodesstadium/tailgating.xhtml
- Hennessy, John J. "War Watchers at Bull Run During America's Civil War." Civil War Times, August 2001. Accessed July 19, 2010.http://www.historynet.com/war-watchers-at-bull-run-during-americas-civil-war.htm
- International Food Information Council Foundation. "A Consumer's Guide to Food Safety Risks." May 6, 2010. Accessed July 22, 2010.http://www.foodinsight.org/Resources/Detail.aspx?topic=A_Consumer_s_Guide_to_Food_Safety_Risks
- Iowa State University. "Jack Trice Stadium." Accessed July 13, 2010.http://www.wcfcourier.com/app/sports/isu/jacktrice
- Miami Dolphins. "Sun Life Stadium Guide." Accessed July 13, 2010.http://www.miamidolphins.com/stadium/stadium-guide
- National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. "2008 Traffic Safety Annual Assessment -- Highlights." June 2009. Accessed July 21, 2010.http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811172.pdf
- National Weather Service. Accessed July 22, 2010.http://www.weather.gov/climate/getclimate.php?wfo=epz
- New Orleans Saints. "Fans Don't Let Fans Drive Drunk." Accessed July 13, 2010.http://www.fansdontletfansdrivedrunk.org/NewOrleansSaints/NewOrleansSaints.asp
- Oregon Liquor Control Commission. "Oregon's Alcohol Laws and Minors." Feb. 2009. Accessed July 21, 2010.www.oregon.gov/OLCC/docs/publications/oregons_alcohol_laws_and_minors.pdf?ga=t
- Rutgers University. "Rutgers: the Birthplace of Intercollegiate Football." Accessed July 20, 2010.http://www.scarletknights.com/football/history/first-game.asp
- The Ohio State University. "Ohio Laws." Accessed July 21, 2010.http://partysmart.osu.edu/ohio_laws.asp
- United States Department of Agriculture. "Tailgating Food Safety Q & A." May 10, 2010. Accessed July 13, 2010.http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Tailgating_Food_Safety/index.asp
- Washington County, Minn. "Consequences of Supplying Alcohol to Minors." Accessed July 21, 2010.http://www.co.washington.mn.us/info_for_residents/public_health/alcohol_and_other_drugs/supplying_alcohol_to_minors/
Lobster has long been associated with fine dining. But could newly imposed tariffs change that? HowStuffWorks looks at lobster's tanking price.