Master Tex-Mex Nachos
Authentic Tex-Mex nachos are a little different from the plain-Jane nachos you might get at the football game. Here's how you'll make Tex-Mex nachos:
Fry whole corn tortillas in hot oil. Drain on a paper towel. In the meantime, heat up some refried beans with a little bit of water, making the beans soft and spreadable. Grate up some cheddar cheese. Spread the beans in a thin layer on each tortilla. Top with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with any of the following: jalapenos, seasoned ground beef, sour cream, guacamole, salsa. Use a pizza cutter to cut the tortilla into four triangles.
For more about Tex-Mex and other styles of cooking, check out the links below.
- "Beans - A Nutritional Powerhouse." Goya. 2011. http://www.goya.com/english/nutrition/basics_beans.html
- Bramen, Lisa. "The History of the Margarita." Smithsonian.com. May 5, 2009. http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food/2009/05/the-history-of-the-margarita/
- Davis, Sarah. "Flour Tortilla Nutrition." Livestrong.com. April 23, 2010. http://www.livestrong.com/article/111247-flour-tortilla-nutrition/
- Drape, Joe. "Celebration of Tex-Mex, Without Apology." The New York Times. Oct. 24, 2007. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/24/dining/24texm.html?pagewanted=all
- "How is Pepper Heat Measured?" Eat More Chiles. 2011. http://www.eatmorechiles.com/Scoville_Heat.html
- Jones, Wilbert. "Tex-Mex cooking: A fusion of cultures." Business Library. 2008. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3289/is_9_171/ai_91821614/
- "Mexican Food History." World Food and Wine. 2011. http://world-food-and-wine.com/mexican-food-history
- Olver, Lynne. "FAQs: Mexican and Tex Mex foods." Food Timeline. July 27, 2011. http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodmexican.html
- "Rice - Wholesome and Nutritious." Goya. 2011. http://www.goya.com/english/nutrition/basics_rice.html
- "The Truth About Cheese and Health." My Recipes. 2011. http://www.myrecipes.com/healthy-diet/cheese-nutrition-facts-10000001956038/
- Walsh, Robb. "Pralines and Pushcarts." Houston Press. July 27, 2000. http://www.houstonpress.com/2000-07-27/dining/pralines-and-pushcarts/full/