Miss Alabama, Liz Cochran, submitted this recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes.
|3||medium, firm green tomatoes|
|1/2||cup all-purpose flour|
|2/3||cup fine dry bread crumbs or cornmeal|
|1/4||cup olive oil|
- Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices.
- Sprinkle slices with salt and pepper.
- Let tomato slices stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, place flour, milk, eggs, and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- Dip tomato slices in milk, then flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs.
- In the skillet, fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 4-6 minutes on each side or until brown. As you cook the rest of the tomatoes, add olive oil as needed.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Check out more recipes for Southern