Apple Fritters with Two Sauces the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 4 servings
|Peanut oil or vegetable oil for deep frying|
|1||cup whole milk|
|4||tablespoons unsalted butter, melted|
|1||large navel orange, zested and juiced|
|1||large tart apple, peeled, cored and chopped|
|3||cups sifted all-purpose flour|
|1/2||cup granulated sugar|
|1||tablespoon baking powder|
|1||package (12 ounces) frozen strawberries, unsweetened, thawed|
|6||tablespoons unsalted butter|
|1/4||cup granulated sugar|
|1/4||cup packed dark brown sugar|
|2/3||cup whipping cream|
|1-1/2||tablespoons lemon juice|
- In deep fryer, heat 2 to 2-1/2 inches of peanut oil to 350°F.
- Combine egg, milk, butter, vanilla, zest and juice in a medium bowl, blending well. Stir in apple.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Slowly stir flour mixture into liquids. (Batter will be very thick.)
- Place 1/4 cup batter per fritter into hot oil and fry in batches to prevent crowding. Fry 8 to 10 minutes, turning often for even color, until fritters are brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- For strawberry sauce, place strawberries in blender and purée. Divide among 4 ramekins.
- For butterscotch sauce, melt butter in small saucepan. Add sugar and dark brown sugar, and stir until sugars have melted. Add whipping cream. Stir and let simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla, lemon juice and salt. Divide among 4 ramekins.
- Pile fritters onto large serving platter, and dust with powdered sugar. Serve strawberry and butterscotch sauces as dipping sauces for fritters.
|Serving Size:||1/4 of recipe|
|Calories from Fat||41 %|
|Total Fat||50 g|
|Saturated Fat||30 g|
Check out more recipes for Puffs & Pastries