Around the World the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Around the World
Makes 12 to 14 servings
|5-1/2||cups cake batter, divided|
|1||(15X15-inch) cake board, covered|
|1||container (16 ounces) white frosting|
|1||pretzel rod, broken in half|
|3||chocolate licorice twists|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 9-inch cake pan, 6-ounce custard cup and medium muffin pan. Pour 3-1/2 cups cake batter into cake pan, 1/2 cup cake batter into custard cup and remaining batter into muffin pan (1/4 cup battter per muffin cup). Bake cake in pan 35 to 45 minutes, cake in custard cup about 25 minutes and cupcakes about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in pans. Loosen edges; invert onto wire racks and cool completely.
- Trim top and side of round cake. Cut custard cup cake vertically in half. Arrange round cake, one cupcake (upside down) and half of custard cup cake on prepared cake board as shown in photo. (Reserve remaining cupcakes for another use.)
- Reserve 1/2 cup frosting. Tint remaining frosting blue. Divide reserved frosting in half; tint 1/4 cup frosting orange and 1/4 cup green.
- Frost entire round cake with blue frosting. Frost cupcake with green frosting and custard cup half with orange frosting.
- Position pretzel rod halves to look as they are running through globe at North and South Poles. Arrange licorice twists to connect pretzel rods to base of globe as shown in photo.
- Flatten gumdrops with rolling pin on smooth, flat surface or sheet of waxed paper sprinkled with sugar. Roll until very thin (about 1/16 inch), turning frequently to coat with sugar. Cut gumdrops into shapes of continents with sharp knife or scissors. Arrange continents on globe.
Check out more recipes for Cakes