Autumn Leaves the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies
|1-1/2||cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened|
|3/4||cup packed light brown sugar|
|3-1/2||cups all-purpose flour|
|1||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/8||teaspoon ground ginger|
|1/8||teaspoon ground cloves|
|2||tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder|
|Yellow, orange and red food colorings|
|1/3||cup semisweet chocolate chips|
- Beat butter, brown sugar and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add flour, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves; beat at low speed until well blended.
- Divide dough into 5 equal sections. Stir cocoa into 1 section until well blended. (If dough is too dry and will not hold together, add 1 teaspoon water; beat until well blended and dough forms ball.) Stir yellow food coloring into 1 section until well blended. Repeat with 2 sections and orange and red food colorings. Leave remaining 1 section plain.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Working with half of each dough color, press colors together lightly. Roll dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with leaf-shaped cookie cutters of various shapes and sizes. Place cutouts 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining dough sections and scraps.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- Place chocolate chips in small resealable food storage bag; seal. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute; knead bag lightly. Microwave on HIGH for additional 30-second intervals until chips are completely melted, kneading bag after each 30-second interval. Cut off tiny corner of bag. Pipe chocolate onto cookies in vein patterns.
Check out more recipes for Fall and Thanksgiving