Bacon and Maple Grits Puff the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Bacon and Maple Grits Puff
Makes 6 to 8 servings
|1||cup uncooked quick-cooking grits|
|1/2||cup pure maple syrup|
|Fresh chives (optional)|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 1-1/2-quart round casserole or soufflé dish; set aside.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat about 7 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels; set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Combine milk, water, grits and salt in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in syrup and reserved 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Crumble bacon; reserve 1/4 cup for garnish. Stir remaining crumbled bacon into grits mixture.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl. Gradually stir small amount of grits mixture into eggs. Stir egg mixture into remaining grits mixture. Pour into prepared casserole.
- Bake 1 hour 20 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean. Top with reserved 1/4 cup bacon. Garnish with fresh chives. Serve immediately.
Puff will fall slightly after being removed from oven.
Check out more recipes for Southern