Baked Doughnuts with Cinnamon Glaze
Makes 2 dozen doughnuts and holes
|5||to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|2/3||cup granulated sugar|
|2||packages active dry yeast|
|1||teaspoon grated lemon peel|
|1/2||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|2||cups milk, divided|
|2||cups sifted powdered sugar|
|1/2||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
- Combine 2 cups flour, granulated sugar, yeast, salt, lemon peel and nutmeg in large bowl. Combine 1-3/4 cups milk and butter in 1-quart saucepan. Heat over low heat until mixture is 120° to 130°F. (Butter does not need to completely melt.) Gradually beat milk mixture into flour mixture with electric mixer at low speed. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes.
- Beat in eggs and 1 cup flour at low speed. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes. Stir in enough additional flour, about 2 cups, to make soft dough. Cover with greased plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Punch down dough. Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough about 1 minute or until dough is no longer sticky, adding remaining 1/2 cup flour to prevent sticking if necessary.
- Grease 2 large baking sheets. Roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness with lightly floured rolling pin. Cut dough with floured 2-3/4-inch doughnut cutter. Reroll scraps, reserving doughnut holes. Place doughnuts and holes 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Cover with towels; let rise in warm place about 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Stir in enough remaining milk, about 1/4 cup, to make glaze of desired consistency. Cover; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place pieces of waxed paper under wire racks to keep counter clean. Bake doughnuts and holes 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan; cool on wire racks 5 minutes. Dip warm doughnuts into glaze. Place right side up on racks, allowing glaze to drip down sides. Serve warm.
Check out more recipes for Quick Breads