Barbecued Pork Tenderloin Sandwich
Makes 6 servings
|1/3||cup packed brown sugar|
|2||tablespoons bourbon or whiskey (optional)|
|1||tablespoon Worcestershire sauce|
|1/2||teaspoon dry mustard|
|1/4||teaspoon ground red pepper|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|2||whole pork tenderloins (about 3/4 pound each), well trimmed of fat|
|1||large red onion, cut into 6 (1/4-inch-thick) slices|
|6||hoagie rolls or kaiser rolls, split|
- Prepare barbecue grill for direct cooking.
- Combine ketchup, sugar, bourbon, if desired, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, red pepper and garlic in small, heavy saucepan with ovenproof handle; mix well. Set saucepan on one side of grid.*
- Place tenderloins on center of grid. Grill tenderloins on uncovered grill over medium-hot coals 8 minutes. Simmer sauce 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Turn tenderloins with tongs; continue to grill, uncovered, 5 minutes. Add onion slices to grid. Set aside half of sauce; reserve. Brush tenderloins and onion with remaining sauce.
- Continue to grill, uncovered, 7 to 10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160°F when tested with meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of tenderloins.**
- Transfer roast to cutting board; cover with foil. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before carving. Internal temperature will continue to rise 5°F to 10°F during stand time. Carve tenderloins crosswise into thin slices. Separate onion slices into rings. Divide meat and onion rings among rolls; drizzle with reserved sauce.
Check out more recipes for Southern