Barley and Wild Rice Pilaf
Makes 8 servings
|1/2||cup uncooked wild rice|
|2||tablespoons olive oil, divided|
|1||medium onion, chopped|
|1||cup uncooked pearl barley|
|3||cloves garlic, minced|
|4||cups chicken broth|
|1||large red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch pieces|
|3||ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced|
|1/2||cup frozen green peas, thawed|
|1/2||cup shredded carrot|
|1||teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano|
- Rinse rice in strainer under cold running water. Drain; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir about 10 minutes or until tender. Add barley, rice and garlic; cook and stir over medium heat 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, about 1 hour or until barley and rice are tender.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, mushrooms, peas, carrot and dried oregano; cook and stir 5 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir bell pepper mixture into rice mixture. Garnish with fresh oregano, if desired.
|Calories from Fat||19 %|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Check out more recipes for Rice, Grains & Stuffing