Basic Yeast Bread the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
This recipe is part of the recipe for Savory Pull-Apart Loaves
Makes 2 loaves
|1/4||cup unsalted butter, softened|
|6-1/2||to 7-1/2 cups bread or all-purpose flour, divided|
|2||packages active dry yeast|
- Heat milk and butter in small saucepan over medium heat just until butter is melted. Remove from heat; cool to about 120° to 130°F. Grease two 9X5-inch loaf pans; set aside.
- Combine 4 cups flour, yeast, salt and sugar in large bowl. Add milk mixture and eggs. Beat vigorously 2 minutes. Add remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until dough begins to pull away from sides of bowl.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured work surface; flatten slightly. Knead 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding flour if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Shape dough into a ball. Place in large lightly oiled bowl; turn dough over once to oil surface. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Turn out dough onto lightly oiled work surface; divide in half. Shape each half of dough into loaf; place in prepared pans. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake 25 minutes or until loaves are golden and sound hollow when tapped. Immediately remove bread from pans and cool on wire rack.
Check out more recipes for Basic Dough