Chopped smoked Bacon and fresh Basil top a creamy Tomato bisque flavored with more bacon and basil. Recipe from the Hunt's "Best Meals. Best Moments. Recipe Contest" 2009 - Karen, Simpsonville, SC, 1st Place
PREP TIME 30 minutes
COOK TIME 1 hour, 30 minutes
6 servings (about 1 cup each)
|1||Pound smoked bacon, chopped|
|1||can (14 oz each) chicken broth|
|1||Cup heavy (whipping) cream|
|3||cloves garlic, peeled, finely chopped|
|1/2||Cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, divided|
|2||can (14.5 oz each) Hunt's® Petite Diced Tomatoes, undrained|
|1||can (6 oz each) Hunt's® Tomato Paste with Basil, Garlic and Oregano|
|1||small onion, chopped|
- Heat large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot. Add bacon; cook 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove HALF of the bacon and drain on paper towels. Remove and discard all but 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Reduce heat to medium; add onion and cook 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more or until fragrant.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Stir in cream; simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add half of the basil to the tomato mixture. Remove soup from heat. Place a portion in blender container. Puree 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. Repeat until all soup is pureed.
- Place bisque in serving bowls; top with the remaining bacon and basil.
- This bisque can be made a day ahead. Prepare entirely except for adding the heavy cream. The next day, heat bisque over medium heat until warm and stir in cream.
|Serving Size:||about 1 cup|
|Total Fat||29.9 g|
|Saturated Fat||13.9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2.9 g|
|Vitamin A||1322.4 iu|
|Vitamin C||24.8 mg|
Check out more recipes for Soups