Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Stand Time 5 minutes
Makes 4 servings
|1||ounce pine nuts (about 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon) or slivered almonds (about 1/4 cup)|
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|3/4||pound 95% lean ground beef|
|1||cup chopped yellow onion|
|1/3||medium eggplant (about 8 ounces), peeled and cubed|
|1||cup chopped red bell pepper|
|1||can (8 ounces) tomato sauce with herbs|
|3/4||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/4||teaspoon ground allspice|
|1||cup uncooked instant rice|
- Heat 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add pine nuts; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until pine nuts begin to lightly brown. Remove to plate; set aside.
- Spray same skillet with cooking spray. Add beef and onions; cook and stir about 4 minutes or until no longer pink. Add eggplant and bell pepper; coat lightly with cooking spray. Cook and stir 4 minutes or until eggplant is crisp-tender.
- Add water; stir to blend. Add tomato sauce, cinnamon and allspice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover tightly; simmer 10 minutes or until eggplant is tender and mixture has thickened slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Remove beef mixture from heat; stir salt and pine nuts into mixture. Cover tightly; let stand 5 minutes. Serve beef mixture over rice.
|Serving Size:||1 cup beef mixture with 1/2 cup cooked rice|
|Calories from Fat||27 %|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
Check out more recipes for Beef