This recipe is part of the recipe for Pork and Cabbage Soup
Makes about 1-1/2 quarts stock
|4||pounds meaty beef bones|
|2||large carrots, halved|
|4||stalks celery, halved|
|3-1/2||quarts cold water, divided|
|1||teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed|
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Rinse bones in cold water; arrange in large roasting pan.
- To brown bones, place roasting pan with bones in oven for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Trim tops and roots from onions, leaving most of the dried outer skin intact; cut into wedges.
- Arrange onions, carrots and celery over bones. Roast 30 minutes more.*
- Remove bones and vegetables from roasting pan and place in stockpot or 5-quart Dutch oven. Skim fat from roasting pan with spoon.
- To deglaze the pan, pour 2 cups water into pan. Place over burners and cook over medium-high heat, scraping up brown bits and stirring constantly 2 to 3 minutes or until the mixture has reduced by about half. Transfer mixture to stockpot.
- Add remaining 3 quarts water, parsley, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns and cloves to stockpot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, 3 to 4 hours, skimming foam that rises to the top with large spoon.
- Remove stock from heat and cool slightly. Remove large bones. Strain stock through large sieve or colander lined with several layers of damp cheesecloth, removing bones and vegetables; discard bones and vegetables.
- Use immediately or refrigerate stock in tightly covered container up to 2 days or freeze stock in storage containers for several months.
Check out more recipes for Broths & Stock