Beefy Cabbage Rolls the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Beefy Cabbage Rolls
Makes 4 servings
|1||head green cabbage|
|1-1/2||cups sliced fresh mushrooms|
|1||can (16 ounces) tomatoes, drained and chopped|
|2||cups shredded cooked beef|
|1||cup shredded carrots|
|2/3||cup chopped onion, divided|
|1||teaspoon dried basil, divided|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|1/4||teaspoon dried rosemary|
|1/4||teaspoon grated lemon peel|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1||can (15 ounces) tomato sauce|
|2||tablespoons packed light brown sugar|
|1||tablespoon cider vinegar|
|1||teaspoon instant beef bouillon granules|
- Cut center core from cabbage; discard. Wrap cabbage in plastic wrap; microwave on HIGH just until outer leaves can be separated from head, 1-1/2 to 3-1/2 minutes.
- Remove 8 cabbage leaves; cut out hard center rib at base of each leaf. Spread leaves on microwavable baking sheet. Microwave, covered with plastic wrap, at HIGH until pliable, 1 to 2-1/2 minutes. Set aside.
- Shred enough of remaining cabbage to make 1-1/2 cups. (Refrigerate any remaining cabbage, wrapped in plastic, for other use.) Combine shredded cabbage and mushrooms in 2-quart microwavable casserole. Microwave, covered with lid, at HIGH until cabbage is tender, 3 to 6 minutes; stir twice during cooking. Drain well.
- Add tomatoes, beef, carrots, 1/3 cup onion, 1/2 teaspoon basil, garlic, salt, rosemary, lemon rind and pepper to mushroom mixture; mix well.
- Spoon 1/8 of beef filling onto center of each cabbage leaf. Fold sides of each leaf over filling; roll up securely and fasten at seam with toothpick. Place rolls seam-side-down in 12X8-inch baking dish.
- For sauce, combine remaining 1/3 cup onion and oil in medium microwavable bowl. Microwave, uncovered, at HIGH until onion is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon basil and the remaining ingredients. Microwave, uncovered, at HIGH until sauce is thickened, 8 to 12 minutes; stir 2 to 3 times during cooking.
- Remove toothpicks from cabbage rolls. Pour sauce over cabbage rolls. Microwave, covered with plastic wrap, at HIGH until heated through, 6 to 10 minutes; rotate dish 1/2 turn twice during cooking. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Check out more recipes for Beef