Berries with Orange Scones
Makes 6 servings
|1-1/4||cups all-purpose flour|
|1-1/2||teaspoons baking powder|
|1||ounce cold reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into 6 pieces|
|1||tablespoon cold butter, cut into 6 pieces|
|1/4||cup low-fat (1%) milk|
|1||tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel|
|1-1/2||cups fresh strawberries, sliced, divided|
|1-1/3||cups fresh blueberries, divided|
|2||packets sugar substitute or equivalent of 4 teaspoons sugar|
|1||tablespoon orange liqueur (optional)|
|1-1/2||cups sugar-free vanilla ice cream (optional)|
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray medium baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; mix well. Using pastry blender or two knives, cut cream cheese and butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Beat egg, milk and orange peel in small bowl. Pour all at once into flour mixture; stir until just moistened. Gather dough into a ball; place on lightly floured board.
- If dough is sticky, sprinkle with a little additional flour; knead 13 times. Press dough into 9x3-inch rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 3 squares; cut squares in half to make 6 triangles. Place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake about 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned and set.
- Meanwhile, purée 1/2 cup strawberries and 1/3 cup blueberries. Add remaining berries, sugar substitute and liqueur, if desired; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Slice scones in half horizontally. Place 2 scone halves on each plate; top with about 1/3 cup berry sauce and 1/4 cup ice cream, if desired. Serve immediately.
|Serving Size:||1 scone with about 1/3 cup sauce|
|Calories from Fat||21 %|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
Check out more recipes for Biscuits & Scones