Makes 2 to 4 servings
|1/4||cup soy sauce|
|2||tablespoons dry sherry|
|1||whole frying chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut into serving pieces|
|12||ounces fresh snow peas|
|2/3||cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch, divided|
|1/4||cup vegetable oil|
|1||piece fresh ginger (about 1 inch square), peeled, cut into 4 slices|
|2||cloves garlic, crushed|
|1||cup chicken broth|
|1||large yellow onion, coarsely chopped|
|Yellow squash, zucchini, carrot and red bell pepper crescents (optional)|
- To prepare marinade, combine soy sauce, sherry and sugar in large bowl; mix well. Add chicken; stir to coat well. Cover; refrigerate 1 hour to marinate, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, to de-stem snow peas, pinch off stem end from each pod, pulling string down pod to remove if present; set aside.
- Drain chicken, reserving marinade. Place 2/3 cup cornstarch in shallow dish or pie plate. Coat chicken pieces with cornstarch. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch with marinade; mix well.
- Heat wok over medium-high heat about 1 minute or until hot. Drizzle oil into wok; heat 30 seconds. Add ginger and garlic; cook and stir about 1 minute or until oil is fragrant. Remove and discard ginger and garlic with slotted spoon. Add chicken to oil; fry about 10 to 15 minutes until well browned on all sides.
- Add broth and onion to wok; bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat to low. Simmer chicken about 20 minutes or until fork can be inserted into chicken with ease and juices run clear, not pink, turning occasionally. Move chicken up side of wok and add reserved snow peas to bottom of wok. Cover; cook 3 to 5 minutes until peas are crisp-tender. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to wok. Cook and stir until sauce thickens and boils. Transfer to serving platter. Garnish with vegetable crescents, if desired. Serve immediately.
For an elegant appetizer, wrap chilled cooked shrimp with chilled blanched snow peas; secure with a toothpick. Serve with a dipping sauce of 1/4 cup soy sauce and 1 tablespoon rice vinegar.
Check out more recipes for Chinese